Okay, so confession time…
I absolutely love sweets, but I am not the biggest cake eater…its totally a texture thing for me.
BUT I love to make pretty things and my mom loves to bake, so I do my best to make her proud and live up to her legacy.
This was a fun one for me and one that required some serious improv and not a lot of patience.
This strawberry lemonade cake is moist, the perfect balance of sweet and tart, and all around a win with the hubs (and even myself).
This recipe was one that I put together myself and made sure to imcorperate lots of spring flavors in there. I am a lemon fanatic (really a citrus fanatic in general), so this one made my taste buds super happy on this lazy Sunday afternoon.
So grab your favorite mixing bowl and Pampered Chef spatula and lets get cooking!
Short-cut Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (prepare accordingly)
- 1 tsp Lemon extract added in (or a lemon for zesting…1/2 tsp of extract : 1 tsp of zest)
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 1 cup softened, unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1/3 c strawberry jam
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- *Optional* Red food coloring for more pinkness…1-2 drops
- Preheat oven according to your box mix
- Prepare box mix accordingly and add in the lemon extract or zest
- Half your cake mix into two cake pans and bake accordingly
While your cake is baking, prepare the frosting…
- Beat together all frosting ingredients until combined and creamy
- Wait until the cake is cooled to frost
- Like the spatula when finished frosting…seriously. This is mandatory. You’re welcome.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries or candied lemons